October 2017 Board Meeting Highlights |
October 2017 Board Meeting Highlights
1. IF Cox principal Catherine Usher presented on the Nutrition Program that was implemented at the start of the school year through a provincial nutrition grant. The grant has allowed the school to provide lunch to 230 students daily. An overview of the program, program partnerships, and student learning outcomes were shared. The estimated cost to supply lunch to each student daily is approximately $2.30/child (meals costs only).
2. Secretary Treasurer Ryan Boser presented the September 28th enrollment numbers. Compared to spring projections, enrollment has decreased by 60 students in grades 1-12 and increased by 26 ECS students. Overall, the division is down 47 FTE compared to projections. Total enrolment for the division is 3,241 from K-12. The number does not include JK or Beyond Walls Outreach School numbers. The overall student reduction will result in an instruction budgeted revenues loss of $410,000.
3. The annual HR Accountability Report was presented for information. Highlights of the report include an overview of the staffing levels across the division, current teacher years of experience in Prairie Rose, and the average salary and benefit costs of both certified and support staff. It was shared that annual staff turnover is between 3%-5% and there continues to be challenges with finding qualified teaching staff to take on high school positions across the division.
4. The annual Transportation Accountability Report was presented for information. Highlights of the report include an overview of the number of buses/students and distance traveled, a summary of the various transportation partnership agreements, a review of student bus ride times, and an overview of the transportation budget. It was noted that distance and transportation funding for rural students continues to be an issue; as the number of students living in rural areas has decreased but the overall distances traveled has only reduced slightly.
5. The board approved a new monitoring cycle (GP #6 – Annual Board Planning & Monitoring Cycle) and a number of policy revisions including; GP #16 – Teacher / Board Advisory Committee, GP #17 – Support Staff / Board Advisory Committee, GP #18 – Audit Committee, GP #19 – Student / Board Advisory Committee, GP #21 – FNMI / Board Advisory Committee, and GP #22 – Literacy Steering Committee / Literacy Lead Team.
6. The Board approved a field trip request from Irvine School for a trip to Quebec and Ontario from June 10, 2018 to June 16, 2018. The heritage tour will include stops in old Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa. Approximately 20 students will participate in the trip.